Friday, February 9, 2018

Week 5 (February 5 - February 9)

K-4 ADVENTURES- FEBRUARY 
On Tuesday, we started our outdoor education adventures with the Kindergarten. The topic this month is Honesty. We gathered all the kids in the cafeteria, read them a story about being honest then had them color animals that would turn into puppets. They then created a skit on being honest. It was so cute watching the kids color, cut, tape, and come up with different skits practicing being honest and admitting to any mistakes. Afterwards, we went on a walk behind GSB, exploring nature's floor before the winter storm to create a blanket of snow.


AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM - Apple Pie Baking
This week, for the afterschool program, we spent the afternoon baking an apple pie and playing board games. Both my Tuesday and Thursday group worked so well together dividing the tasks of preparing the crust, mixing the dry ingredients, and peeling the apples. It was amazing to watch a group of this age cook and clean up so efficiently. While the pie was baking, we turned the music on, and divided into two groups, playing Apple's to Apples, family edition, and Blokus, a strategy making game. Once the pie had finished baking, we cleaned up the room, then enjoyed a slice of pie and a couple of scoops of ice cream. It was such a fun, relaxing afternoon. I am glad this group was able to happen.

ANOTHER SNOWDAY- KINDA
There hasn't been a single week since the start of EIR that we have not had a full or half day snow day. Wednesday we had a half day with the anticipation of the winter storm. For this half day, I helped out in the resource room. Here, I worked with kids who are behind their current grade level in certain or all school levels. 

6th GRADE IMPROPTU On Thursday afternoons, I sit in with Mrs. Davis' Guidance class. Currently, she is discussing a fixed mind set vs. a growth mindset. Last week, she showed them a video with different scenarios of different mindsets. This week, she had them come up with their own examples of real life examples. She then asked me if I would share an experience of when I was hiking, when it became difficult, and what I did to get through it.

I was stumped. I have done thousands of miles of hiking, but wasn't so sure what example to use. With a couple minutes to think, I decided to share my story of my decision to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail and the first three days on the trip, to include hiking short days, carrying 15lbs over the recommended weight, having a family doubt me, and hiking up a mountain with a huge blister on my heel. Although, I was a nervous, it was so great sharing my experience with the 6th grade group. Other than sharing a short story at a chapel service, I had not shared my story since I have a talk to the boy scouts in 2014. It was pretty cool and I think they were pretty intrigued with by it. Next week, I will share some more information about my life and we will have the class come up with their own stories of when they were in a difficult situation and how the type of attitude they had about it helped or hurt the outcome.


---thats all for now. Next week highlights will include taking the 3rd and 5th grade classes to Kieve, yoga electives, and the afterschool program.

No comments:

Post a Comment